Answered By: Sarah Jenkins Last Updated: Mar 23, 2020 Views: 74
Open an e-book
From the item record, you can click the blue link under View Online.
Click on the link to go to the e-book. If you are off campus, you will have to sign in with your SMU ID and Password to view the e-book.
Look for navigation tools to read, download, email, cite, or print the e-book. Each vendor has a different layout for the material. Most e-books will have a help button if you need it.
Some e-book vendors allow multiple users to read the book at once. Others limit the number of concurrent users. Look for "Concurrent User Level" to see how many copies are available.
Problems can arise from a number of reasons. You are welcome to contact us with any questions or problems that arise.
- Many e-books can only be accessed by currently affiliated SMU students, faculty and staff, or from computers on SMU campus.
- If you are off-campus, you will be prompted to enter your SMU ID number and password. If you are still unable to access the e-book, please contact us.
Unable to Download
- Some e-books can only be partially downloaded and others cannot be downloaded at all. Some of SMU Libraries e-books have restrictions on the number of users who can simultaneously view them.
Unable to Open E-Book
- Some vendors only allow one user at a time to view the e-book. E-book vendor EBL allows unlimited users to access their e-books. Other vendors, like ebrary and NetLibrary, only allow a certain number of concurrent users. Look for "Concurrent User Level" to see how many users can read the book at once.
Locked Out of E-Book
- If you open an e-book and your browser closes or crashes, you may not be able to open the same e-book right away. Please wait 10-15 minutes and try again.
- Most e-books have technical requirements that may require you to install plugins or update software. Some pop-up blockers and other browser features can affect your ability to view e-books.
- All ebooks will not work in all browsers. Try opening the book in a different browser (Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer).
- Contact the OIT Help Desk for assistance.
- Not all file formats are compatible with all e-book devices.
- Some vendors have limits on the number of pages you can print. Check to see that the e-book you are viewing allows printing.